Subject: bug#13602: 24.3.50; remove bindings for `icomplete-minibuffer-map' - make a separate mode

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 07:27:49 -0800

> Let me remind everyone: I made a proposal and it sailed through.
> Drew has made a proposal and you have chimed in.  It is for the
> maintainers to make a call on what to do about it.  I don't think my
> opinion matters here (much).

Jamunathan, I don't understand your resistance to making your keybindings
optional, and making it simple for a user to toggle them on/off.  We haven't
seen any argument supporting such resistance, AFAICT.

IOW, I don't think that anyone (not I, in any case) opposes the addition of a
feature that allows keys to be bound to provide Ido-like cycling.

All we (I, at least) are requesting is that this be user-controlled in a simple
(trivial) way.  Why is that too much to ask, in your opinion (which does matter,
obviously)?

Requiring users to fiddle with the minibuffer keymaps using Lisp is a non
response.  A user might use one or more additional packages that change or add
minibuffer bindings, and s?he should not have to try to code up a way to restore
whatever bindings would have been in effect without yours.

Even with emacs -Q, users should not need to know Lisp to be able to quickly
undo your bindings.  Just please make it easy on users to get back the Icomplete
behavior they have long enjoyed and might still prefer.

And please keep that longstanding behavior as the default one.  I sense that
that too is what Juri is underlining by quoting descriptions of the original
behavior and the intentions behind it.