Subject: bug#13594: 24.2.92; [PATCH] compilation-start doesn't consider nil OUTWIN

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:15:49 -0500

>> What happens if we just return a minibuffer window to display-buffer?
>> (still ugly as hell)
> Have we reached an impasse? Is it advisable to go back to what Stefan
> originally suggested?

Basically, as it currently stands "don't display at all" can be done in
2 ways:
- make it work only for those callers that are prepared for it: for this
  case, we could simply define a t return value (returned from an
  ACTION) to mean "not displayed".  Ideally, display-buffer would return
  nil in this case, but returning t is OK as well.
- make it work everywhere: then we need display-buffer to return
  a "dummy" window (i.e. an object that behaves like a window object
  but that is not displayed).

I'm beginning to think the best choice is the first option: it requires
no changes right away, and we can progressively change callers so that
they can handle the "not displayed" case.

        Stefan