Subject: bug#13594: 24.2.92; [PATCH] compilation-start doesn't consider nil OUTWIN

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 01:55:08 +0800

On 2013-02-12 01:31 +0800, martin rudalics wrote:
>> Do you think it is possible to implement a special "hidden" window type
>> so callers could operate on it invisibly to the user?
>
> Not really.  If you call `with-selected-window' on such a window and get
> stuck in it, the display routines would probably have to find their way
> out of such a situation.
>
> We could, as Stefan proposed, use the root window of an invisible frame
> for this.  But as I mentioned earlier, this has the disadvantage that
> you have to somehow clean up that frame when you delete the last visible
> frame.  Officially, `delete-frame' should handle this case but at least
> here on Windows XP it certainly doesn't.  And I'm quite sure that we can
> find at least one window manager where sampling the visibility of frames
> is not 100% reliable.
>
> martin

What happens if we just return a minibuffer window to display-buffer?
(still ugly as hell)

Leo