Subject: Re: bug#13584: 24.2; Emacs ignores system-wide hinting settings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 00:23:46 -0700

Jarosław Rzeszótko <[email-masked]> writes:

> Emacs ignores system-wide hinting settings when displaying fonts, when
> using Gtk+3 and Linux (I didn't test Gtk+2, possibly there as well). I
> have hinting set up in both ~/.Xresources:
>
> Xft.hinting: true
> Xft.hintstyle: hintnone
>
> and in ~/.fonts.conf. All Gtk+3 and Gtk+2 respect those settings when
> rendering fonts. To get emacs use a different hinting than the
> "hintfull" style, I have to do the following in .Xresources:
>
> Emacs.font: Monospaced:hintstyle=hintnone

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

I haven't tested myself (because I don't really know what I'd look for
to reproduce this bug), but I had a look at the code, and there seems to
be code in there to heed the "hintnone" style:

          else if (strcmp (name, "Xft/HintStyle") == 0)
            {
              settings->seen |= SEEN_HINTSTYLE;
              if (strcmp (sval, "hintnone") == 0)
                settings->hintstyle = FC_HINT_NONE;
              else if (strcmp (sval, "hintslight") == 0)
                settings->hintstyle = FC_HINT_SLIGHT;

This code was added in 2009, though, which I think was before 24.2 was
released...  but there's been other changes in this area over the years
since this was reported.

Are you still seeing this problem on a modern Emacs, and if so, do you
have a recipe to reproduce (i.e., what should be we seeing if Emacs does
this wrong)?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no