Subject: Re: bug#13583: 24.3.50; Error when activating auto-revert-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:39:27 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 14:44:50 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > You can run the :set form of the option, with suitable substitutions
> > for "variable" and "value", instead of setting the value with setq.
> > But then you'd need to change that every time the :set form changes in
> > autorevert.el.
> 
> IMHO, no user should need to do something like that.

No one does.  Using custom-set-variables is much easier.  I just
wanted to give Dani all the alternatives I knew about.  Nothing wrong
with that, is there?

> I often saw people being reluctant about using `custom-set-variables' in
> their init file.
> 
> I browsed the doc of `custom-set-variables', as well as the
> "Customization" chapter in the manual.  I found no places were we say
> that some of these functions are suitable for being called from other
> files than the custom file, without danger.

I call it from my .emacs, and never had any problems in years.