Subject: Re: bug#13583: 24.3.50; Error when activating auto-revert-mode

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:06:10 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cockipt error.  The doc string clearly says
>>     "If non-nil Auto Revert Mode uses file notification functions.
>>   This requires Emacs being compiled with file notification
>>   support (see `auto-revert-notify-enabled').  You should set this
>>   variable through Custom only."               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> That's because this defcustom has a :set function defined for it; if
>> that function isn't run, the results are unpredictable.
>> Any reason not to close this bug?
>
> It should be possible to have (setq auto-revert-use-notify nil) in your
> .emacs and not use Custom.

I've added

  :initialize 'custom-initialize-default

to that defcustom. That seems to do the job.

Best regards, Michael.