Subject: Re: bug#13583: 24.3.50; Error when activating auto-revert-mode

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:18:58 +0100

>> I try to avoid the customize facility as much as I can, because it
>> doesn't allow to set values based on conditions like the system-type,
>> for example.
>
> Doesn't custom-set-variables work inside an "if" clause?  If it does,
> then what's the problem of using it only on some systems?

The problem with that approach is that, if I do some other
customization and save it, the custom facility writes _all_ current
unsaved customization to the custom file, therefore the customization
of `auto-revert-use-notify' would end up in the custom file, which is
not what I want, obviously.

A workaround is to fool the customize facility by marking the relevant
customizations as "saved" just after the call to custom-set-variables,
but that is an ugly hack, IMO.

>> Therefore, I'd like to be able to set `auto-revert-use-notify'
>> directly in my init file, with `setq', but if that is not possible, I
>> will have to adapt myself.
>
> You can run the :set form of the option, with suitable substitutions
> for "variable" and "value", instead of setting the value with setq.
> But then you'd need to change that every time the :set form changes in
> autorevert.el.

So that doesn't seem like a good solution either...

-- 
Dani Moncayo