Subject: Re: bug#13583: 24.3.50; Error when activating auto-revert-mode

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:34:40 +0100

> Cockipt error.  The doc string clearly says
>
>     "If non-nil Auto Revert Mode uses file notification functions.
>   This requires Emacs being compiled with file notification
>   support (see `auto-revert-notify-enabled').  You should set this
>   variable through Custom only."               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's because this defcustom has a :set function defined for it; if
> that function isn't run, the results are unpredictable.
>
> Any reason not to close this bug?

I try to avoid the customize facility as much as I can, because it
doesn't allow to set values based on conditions like the system-type,
for example.  If I do some customization "by hand" in my init file, I
have all the power an flexibility of elisp for doing what I want.
That is not possible using customize.  So currently I use customize
only for face-related settings, and BTW I have to maintain several
custom files (one for GUI sessions, other for the Windows console and
other for the Ubuntu console) because each environment requires a
specific visual customization.

Therefore, I'd like to be able to set `auto-revert-use-notify'
directly in my init file, with `setq', but if that is not possible, I
will have to adapt myself.

-- 
Dani Moncayo