Subject: Re: bug#13580: 24.2.92; regression in calc-convert-units

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:38:13 -0600

On Wed Jan 30 2013 Jay Belanger wrote:
> 
> > start emacs -Q
> > start Calc
> > type 'k K / eV RET u c
> >
> > expected result: either Emacs will ask me 'New units:' (as with
> >                  Emacs 23) or something else meaningful,
> 
> This has been fixed in bzr.

I am sorry, I do not understand the new behavior: Why does
calc-convert-units ask now

  (The expression is unitless when simplified) Old Units: 

if the expression is dimensionless? In physics "unitless" is
different from "dimensionless", it is quite common to use
dimensionless units. In other words, I do not quite understand what
the change in calc-convert-units was supposed to fix or improve
here. calc-convert-units should take such dimensionless expressions
from the stack as it used to with any such expressions (expressions
with dimensions or dimensionless expressions). The old behavior was
fine in that respect.

>From a different perspective: calc-convert-units in the pretest
branch is still broken, I just installed 24.2.93.1 which still shows
the bug. The current behavior is a regression as compared with
previous emacs versions and rather annoying for me.

Roland