Subject: Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository

From: Diego Elio Pettenò <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:50:29 +0100

On 12/02/2013 17:44, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> Ah, ok, so in the end you already agree that this is a "documentation"
> issue rather than a versioning one.  Please correct me if I'm wrong!

I guess it's a matter of perception.

I honestly don't see the point of beta software if nobody's using it, as
it would just actually be an alpha for the beta (.0/.1 releases) which
then becomes stable (.2+ — sometimes).

If we go with a new major version we could have:

2.0.x -> new major, testing branch (let's not call it beta!), all fine
but it throws a huge warning at runtime that the branch is not finalized
yet and thus that it should not be used for distributed software

2.1.x -> new major, stable branch, micro versions for bugfix only

2.2.x -> new major, new features branch, introduces deprecation warnings
for features leaving in 3.0, possibly some opt-in versions of features
becoming standard in 3.0.

_If needed_ only:

2.90.x -> experimental branch for the upcoming 3.0 testing branch

-- 
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
[email-masked] — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/