Subject: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository

From: Diego Elio Pettenò <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 01:09:44 +0100

On 31/01/2013 20:58, Jack Kelly wrote:
> IMHO, that seems like a great way to cause trouble for unsuspecting
> users. (Anyone remember KDE4.0?) Can you expand on why you think it's a
> good plan?

Because unlike KDE, automake can put a big fat warning in the generated
configure that says "You're using a version unsuitable for production",
and then people would understand it much better.

KDE 4.0 was a screwup because there was no big fat warning, and users
insisted to have it. No user _asks_ for automake.

> Is there a system like X.beta1, X.beta2, ..., X.0 that is going to fit
> the ordering system for most package managers? Bonus points if it works
> in asciibetical order, too.

Good luck finding one. Gentoo would be fine with X.Y_betaZ — but I
honestly dislike X.Yb because that kind of stuff is usually _after_ X.Y
for almost everything but autotools..

-- 
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
[email-masked] — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/