Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 13:17:12 +0100

On 01/30/2013 10:07 PM, Eric Dorland wrote:
>
> [SNIP PROPOSAL for new versioning scheme]
>
> I like it.
>
Glad to hear that :-)

> I think it would mean that Debian could carry less
> simultaneous automake packages at the same time, ie it would have a
> separate package per major release and just upgrade that to highest
> release within that major (eg package automake-2 @ version 2.1.3,
> automake-3 @ version 3.0.4).
> 
> [SNIP PROPOSAL for new branching scheme]
>
>> If you agree with my proposal, I think the new schemes could be
>> implemented right after the 1.13.2 release; so that the planned
>> Automake 1.13.3 will be released as 1.14, and the planned Automake
>> 1.14 will be released as Automake 2.0.
> 
> I think it would be better to start with the planned 1.14 (aka 2.0)
> rather than with 1.13.3.
>
While this move would have its merits, I think we should go ahead and
implement the new scheme right after the 1.13.2 release [1].  That is
because the current code in maint [2] already have some new features
and new warnings implemented, and that is exactly the situation where
a new minor version would be warranted according to the new proposed
scheme.

 [1] But not before we have reached a consensus on the proposal, of
    course; as Diego pointed out, this is not something to be rushed.

 [2] That would have become 1.13.3 with the old versioning scheme,
     and should become 1.14 with the new one.

> It makes it a cleaner break for people (aka Debian to some degree)
> who were relying on the old versioning scheme.
>

Thanks,
  Stefano