Subject: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] Savannah issues

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:12:56 +0100

On 02/27/2013 02:31 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
> Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:
>> And while you *might* have changed my mind before (because you have
>> valid points, and maybe it would have better to err on the side of
>> safety), I have now already rewritten maint, so rather than messing
>> up by rewriting it again (to its old value, granted, but a rewrite
>> nonetheless) and reverting an already made decision (and made after
>> considerable discussion and not negligible efforts), I'd rather
>> stuck with the current minor "mess".
> 
> Rewriting "to the old value" makes a _huge_ difference (at least with
> git), because people that haven't done a pull or whatever of the "new
> value" will then have no problem at all.
> 
> So whether another rename causes more or less pain depends on what
> proportion of people that have a pointer to your repository do
> frequent updates.  As automake seems to be the sort of project that
> has mostly "casual" contributors, I'd wager many people _haven't_
> pulled the "changed" version, and so would be _helped_ by a
> rename-to-the-old-value (and hurt by not doing so).
> 
As I said in my reply to Peter, feel free to reach a decision on-list
and implement it.  I'm not going to touch the Automake repository
myself for some (possibly several) days anyway.

Regards,
  Stefano