Subject: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] Savannah issues

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:31:17 +0900

Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:
> And while you *might* have changed my mind before (because you have
> valid points, and maybe it would have better to err on the side of
> safety), I have now already rewritten maint, so rather than messing
> up by rewriting it again (to its old value, granted, but a rewrite
> nonetheless) and reverting an already made decision (and made after
> considerable discussion and not negligible efforts), I'd rather
> stuck with the current minor "mess".

Rewriting "to the old value" makes a _huge_ difference (at least with
git), because people that haven't done a pull or whatever of the "new
value" will then have no problem at all.

So whether another rename causes more or less pain depends on what
proportion of people that have a pointer to your repository do
frequent updates.  As automake seems to be the sort of project that
has mostly "casual" contributors, I'd wager many people _haven't_
pulled the "changed" version, and so would be _helped_ by a
rename-to-the-old-value (and hurt by not doing so).

-miles

-- 
Arrest, v. Formally to detain one accused of unusualness.