Subject: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] Savannah issues

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:37:15 +0900

Just that by far the most common branch setup in git repos seems to be
using master as the "dev trunk", with releases, release candidates
(etc) on special branches.  There are often additional feature
branches for even more speculative changes, but master is generally
not really "safe," even if it's not the most dangerous branch.

So master tends to be a sort of "middle" state (between
release/release-candidate branches and speculative feature branches),
stuff that is slated for the next release, and has received review --
but may still have some bugs to be shaken out.  For complicated
long-term changes, people often do development on special feature
branches, but smaller and more straight-forward changes generally get
put into master directly.  Master branches break with some regularity.

If you're familiar with gcc's subversion repo setup, it's pretty
similar to this (with the subversion trunk being "master")

Git's own repo actually does this too.

Thanks,

-miles

-- 
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.