Subject: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] Savannah issues

From: Miles Bader <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 07:28:45 +0900

Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>    * maint -> master
>>>>    * master -> next
>>>
>> Damn, not really.  For some questionable reason, Savannah is rejecting
>> my non-fast-forward push to master even if I specify '--force', and
>> I cannot use the usual trick "delete the remote branch, then push the
>> local one to it" trick that I typically use to work around this
>> problem, since 'master' is the "current branch" of the remote
>> repository, and that cannot be deleted to avoid confusing "git clone".
>> 
>> So *THE AUTOMAKE GIT REPOSITORY ON SAVANNAH IS CURRENTLY IN AN
>> INCONSISTENT STATE* (not broken, mind you, merely inconsistent with
>> our new declared policies), and should not be used until this issue
>> is resolved.
>> 
>> I don't have time to look into this presently,
>>
> I had time today, so I submitted a Task in the Savannah interface:
> <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/index.php?12497>

What's the point of this renaming, anyway?

It doesn't seem to make any functional difference what the names of
the branches you use for dev sources and releases are -- and besides
being a practical problem, the scheme you've chosen doesn't follow
common git practice, so will be surprising/confusing to people...

-miles

-- 
You can hack anything you want, with TECO and DDT.