Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:09:28 +0100

() Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
() Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:48:59 +0100

   So I propose the following change in the Automake versioning scheme:
   [...]

Sounds good.  Going further, you could maybe define notation (described
in HACKING) for categories of changes (backward-{in}compatible, etc) and
methodically use them in the ChangeLog entries.  This would be both
informative to the user, and helpful to prevent mistakes (by casual
contributors :-D).

   I also propose the following change to the branching scheme currently
   implemented in the Automake Git repository:
   [...]

These details should also be explained in HACKING.

   to publicize the new versioning scheme

     - ??? (suggestions welcome)

Maybe cut a release that changes only the version number?  Personally i
would find that to be not particularly useful, but others might welcome
the explicitness.

-- 
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502
.                  NB: ttn at glug dot org is not me                   .
.                 (and has not been since 2007 or so)                  .
.                        ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES                         .
........... please send technical questions to mailing lists ...........