Subject: Re: bug#13566: 24.1; Too easy to forget things with remember

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:05:28 +0100

On 14 May 2013 16:54, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Reuben Thomas wrote:
>
> > It seems to me that it's more consistent to make Emacs prompt to save the
> > remember buffer, as it does for other unsaved buffers (the alternative
> > suggested here would make Emacs silently save the remember buffer if
> > exited), but I'd appreciate some guidance.
>
> Maybe you want to associate it with a real file name?
> Then it will get auto-save protection, etc.
> Probably some temp-name (so that multiple instances do not clash) in
> ~/.emacs.d, that gets deleted when you call remember-finalize?
>

Thanks for the extra suggestion.

Auto-save protection would be nice, but that seems like a separate issue,
unless you're also suggesting that the prompt-on-exit for an unfinalized
remember buffer should be to save in a temporary file (which could be
confusing, especially for a user who doesn't use desktop.el or some other
session support), in which case I'm not sure it's a good idea.

In any case, as Sebastian has pointed out, remember is effectively
obsolescent; this sounds like it might be over-complicated for a minimal
fix.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org