Subject: bug#13564: 24.2.91; Reg-exp in directory-files stops working (badly affects org-mode)

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:33:26 +0100

Hi, 

I have just experienced this for the second time this week.

I have plenty of org files in my "~/pim" directory. After a couple of
days of uptime org agenda stops recognizing my files. I have tracked it
down to directory-files:

   (directory-files "~/pim/" nil ".*\\.org\\'")

returns only a small fraction of all available files. If I start emacs
anew it works as expected.  

What is going on with directory-files? Are there flags that can change
its regexp matching?

    Thanks, 
    Vitalie

In GNU Emacs 24.2.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.13)
 of 2012-12-29 on vitoshka-home
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
System Description:	Ubuntu 12.10

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  delete-selection-mode: t
  csv-field-index-mode: t
  jabber-activity-mode: t
  sr-popviewer-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Recent input:
l i s p - m o d e - s h <tab> C-e C-x C-e C-a C-x C-s 
C-M-n C-k C-k C-k C-x C-s M-8 C-M-p C-M-p C-M-p C-n 
C-e M-b M-f C-x M-e M-b M-b M-b M-f M-f C-f C-f C-f 
C-e C-j M-q C-p C-p C-e <return> C-p C-e M-x v i <return> 
M-b M-b C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-b <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> C-e C-j C-p C-p C-n C-x C-x 
C-g C-M-p C-M-p C-M-p C-M-p C-n C-e C-b C-b <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> C-e C-j C-r t o d o C-r C-r 
C-p C-p C-e C-M-b C-M-f <return> C-p M-f M-f M-f M-f 
M-f M-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> C-e C-b C-b \ \ ' C-e C-j C-x C-d g M-8 
M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y M-y q C-p C-p C-n C-p C-p C-p 
C-p M-f M-f M-f C-x C-f C-j g C-n C-n C-n C-n M-8 M-* 
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n g s t q C-e C-b M-b 
M-b M-b M-b C-h f <return> M-f M-f M-f <backspace> 
n i l C-e C-j C-p C-p C-p C-e C-b C-SPC M-b M-b C-g 
M-f ) C-j C-r t o d o C-p C-p C-z <return> <return> 
C-z C-z <backspace> SPC C-z C-z C-z C-k M-b M-b C-e 
C-b SPC M-b M-f C-d M-b M-f SPC M-b M-f C-f C-z C-z 
C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z C-z <backspace> 
SPC <backspace> M-f C-e C-b C-b <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> C-e C-j C-z C-z C-z C-z C-e C-j C-p C-p 
C-p C-n C-s t o d o C-g C-p C-p C-n C-e C-SPC M-w C-SPC 
C-a M-w C-e C-j C-p C-p C-x 4 m C-x k M-x r e p o r 
<return>

Recent messages:
Undo! [4 times]
Redo! [3 times]
Undo! [2 times]
Redo! [2 times]
Undo!
Redo!
Undo! [5 times]
Quit
Mark set
Mark activated

Load-path shadows:
/home/vitoshka/Dropbox/ELPA/sunrise-commander-20130107.37/.dir-locals hides ~/VC/gnus/.dir-locals
~/VC/gnus/lisp/lpath hides ~/VC/auctex/lpath
~/VC/gnus/lisp/format-spec hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/format-spec
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-plantuml hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-gnus hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-maxima hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-js hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-footnote hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-mac-message hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-mac-message
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-awk hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-wl hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-wl
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-picolisp hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-protocol hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-sh hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sh
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-exp hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-exp
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/ob-dot hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
~/VC/org-mode/lisp/org-archive hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
~/VC/gnus/lisp/sasl hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/net/sasl
~/VC/gnus/lisp/gnus-bookmark hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-bookmark
~/VC/gnus/lisp/sieve-mode hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/sieve-mode
~/VC/gnus/lisp/gnus-setup hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-setup
~/VC/gnus/lisp/gnus-kill hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-kill
~/VC/gnus/lisp/yenc hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/yenc
~/VC/gnus/lisp/messcompat hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/messcompat
~/VC/gnus/lisp/nnml hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnml
~/VC/gnus/lisp/deuglify hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/deuglify
~/VC/gnus/lisp/mm-extern hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/mm-extern
~/VC/gnus/lisp/gnus-html hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-html
~/VC/gnus/lisp/nnweb hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/nnweb
~/VC/gnus/lisp/gnus-srvr hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-srvr
~/VC/gnus/lisp/pgg-gpg hides /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs/lisp/obsolete/pgg-gpg
/home/vitoshka/Dropbox/ELPA/rebox2-20121113.2100/rebox2 hides /home/vitoshka/Dropbox/.emacs.d/site-lisp/rebox2/rebox2

Features:
(shadow emacsbug re-builder edebug tramp-cmds tramp-cache tramp-sh
wdired delsel expand-region text-mode-expansions cc-mode-expansions
org-mode-expansions octave-expansions nxml-mode-expansions
latex-mode-expansions js-mode-expansions html-mode-expansions
expand-region-custom expand-region-core expand-region-autoloads rmailsum
mh-e mh-compat mh-acros mh-buffers mh-loaddefs helm-imenu
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet ediff iswitchb mc-insert-numbers
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-more mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines
multiple-cursors-core multiple-cursors-autoloads iedit-rect iedit
help-macro ert iedit-lib iedit-autoloads tar-mode js moz snmp-mode tempo
essddr yasnippet dropdown-list cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine bm git-blame whitespace
rcirc face-remap tabify image-file org-capture org-mks two-column
iso-transl cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew
holidays hol-loaddefs macros cal-move smerge-mode etags fuzzy
reftex-parse helm-mode helm-files image-dired helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-locate helm-help
helm-external vlf rmailmm rmail rect helm-grep grep helm-regexp loadhist
smart-operator-autoloads autoload lisp-mnt url-cache csv-mode flow-fill
helm-sys synonyms dabbrev view magithub crm json magit-bisect
magit-key-mode magit vc-git org-element url-http url-auth url-gw
url-handlers qp misearch multi-isearch help-mode helm-elisp helm-eval
helm-info helm-net helm-plugin helm-utils skeleton goto-addr
jabber-keepalive jabber-bookmarks jabber-private jabber jabber-awesome
jabber-osd jabber-wmii jabber-xmessage jabber-festival jabber-sawfish
jabber-ratpoison jabber-screen jabber-socks5 jabber-ft-server
jabber-si-server jabber-ft-client jabber-ft-common jabber-si-client
jabber-si-common jabber-feature-neg jabber-truncate jabber-time
jabber-autoaway jabber-vcard-avatars jabber-chatstates jabber-events
jabber-vcard jabber-avatar jabber-activity jabber-watch jabber-modeline
jabber-ahc-presence jabber-ahc jabber-version jabber-ourversion
jabber-muc-nick-completion hippie-exp jabber-browse jabber-search
jabber-register jabber-roster jabber-presence jabber-muc jabber-newdisco
jabber-widget jabber-disco jabber-chat ewoc jabber-history
jabber-chatbuffer jabber-alert jabber-iq jabber-keymap jabber-core
jabber-sasl sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain fsm jabber-logon
jabber-conn srv dns jabber-xml jabber-menu jabber-util debug
rainbow-delimiters smex mule-util sunrise-x-popviewer
sunrise-x-checkpoints bookmark sunrise-x-loop sunrise-x-tree
sunrise-commander term ehelp hl-line find-dired esh-var esh-io esh-cmd
esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-util esh-module
esh-mode enriched dired-x dired-aux desktop texmathp reftex-auc preview
prv-emacs tex-buf zotelo font-latex latex tex-style tex dbus xml
latexenc ffap org-colview cal-iso reftex-dcr org-wl org-w3m org-vm
org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html
org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb nnfolder
bbdb-message sendmail flymake flyspell ispell sort smiley gnus-cite
shr-color color shr mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml
disp-table gnus-topic utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnimap parse-time utf7
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-cache
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua bbdb-com netrc network-stream starttls tls
gnus-notify gnus-demon nntp bbdb timezone supercite regi nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus-load gnus gnus-ems gnus-compat url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap nnheader mail-utils
ob-latex ob-R appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-clock org-exp org-agenda
org org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs iimage sml-mode
electric pos-tip ac-octave octave-inf octave-mod ac-math
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup saveplace doc-view jka-compr
image-mode reftex reftex-vars reftex-cite preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads info-look psvn log-edit pcvs-util add-log diff-mode elp
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util dired xquery-mode generic rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok
smart-operator rx rebox2 slime-media slime-presentations slime-scratch
slime-asdf slime-repl slime derived pp hyperspec menu-bar+
helm-descbinds helm-match-plugin helm warnings helm-config iflipb
mic-paren adaptive-wrap-autoloads bbdb-autoloads bm-autoloads
bookmark+-autoloads csv-mode-autoloads csv-nav-autoloads
edit-server-autoloads eldoc-eval-autoloads esk-autoloads
flex-isearch-autoloads fuzzy-autoloads fuzzy-match-autoloads
git-blame-autoloads helm-autoloads helm-descbinds-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads ido-load-library-autoloads ido-ubiquitous-autoloads
ido-yes-or-no-autoloads iflipb-autoloads igrep-autoloads
jabber-autoloads js2-mode-autoloads lacarte-autoloads
magit-gh-pulls-autoloads gh-autoloads logito-autoloads
magit-push-remote-autoloads magithub-autoloads magit-autoloads
markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads memory-usage-autoloads
mic-paren-autoloads minimap-autoloads oauth2-autoloads
persistent-soft-autoloads list-utils-autoloads pcache-autoloads
finder-inf popup-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
rainbow-mode-autoloads rebox2-autoloads smex-autoloads
sml-mode-autoloads sml-modeline-autoloads stem-autoloads
sunrise-commander-autoloads synonyms-autoloads vlf-autoloads
w3m-autoloads zotelo-autoloads package tramp tramp-compat auth-source
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv assoc gnus-util mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs format-spec ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a shell pcomplete ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d
ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d ess-tracebug compile ess-roxy easy-mmode
hideshow ess-help info reporter ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc ess-s-l
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe ess ess-inf comint ansi-color ring
ess-mode ess-noweb-mode edmacro kmacro ess-utils ess-custom ess-compat
ess-site ibuf-ext ibuffer recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu uniquify
paren savehist time cus-start cus-load solarized-dark-theme solarized
imenu-anywhere cl-macs gv imenu ido sh-script smie executable advice
help-fns advice-preload autorevert subword server cl cl-lib time-date
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)