Subject: bug#13563: tabulated-list-print-col nicer help-echo

From: Jonas Bernoulli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 04:58:30 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jonas Bernoulli wrote:
>
>> `tabulated-list-set-col' adds a help-echo property to the "labels" that
>> it inserts.  With this patch this is done a bit differently:
>>
>> * If the label already has a help-echo property then use that help-echo
>>   instead of overriding it with a generic one.  This allows displaying
>>   additional information when it makes sense.
>
> Seems good.
>
>> * Otherwise propertize as before but don't prefix the help-echo with the
>>   column name.  That information is not really useful.
>
> Not sure I agree. Eg in Buffer-menu mode, the prefix is useful IMO.

I don't find it very useful since the same information is also displayed
in the header-line.  But if the other change is merged then I can easily
work around this by explicitly setting the help-echo in my
Tabulated-List mode derived modes.

One other thing I forgot to include in this pull request: I think it
would make sense to set `x-stretch-cursor' to nil in
`tabulated-list-mode'.  One shouldn't set that to t globally (I did for
a while, silly me) but it also does not hurt to actively override such a
setting in cases where it is known not to make any sense.

I don't care much about this (after all I have not enabled this globally
anymore:).  Let me know what you think and I will create a new patch
with the second change above removed and this one included if desired.