Subject: Re: bug#13553: 24.3.50; incorrect usage of IS_DIRECTORY_SEP

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 09:15:45 +0200

> From: Shigeru Fukaya <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:56:54 +0900
> 
> Built on migw32, and no trouble, thank you
> (I didn't do coverage tests, sorry).

Thanks.  I'm therefore closing this bug.

> But we must remember, my raise of issue is the incorrect usage of
> IS_DIRECTORY_SEP.  There are still more in fileio.c and more.

Yes.  This is being discussed on emacs-devel, and once that discussion
ends, the fileio.c and dired.c functions will be fixed as well.

> >> As for coding symbol, not a few Japanese use 'cp932 not 'shift-jis I 
> >> suppose.  But we need some notice for users.
> >
> >Not sure what you are saying here.  Do you think many Japanese Windows
> >users will set file-name-coding-system to shift_jis, or that most of
> >them will set it to cp932?
> >
> >Normally, users don't customize file-name-coding-system at all, in
> >which case Emacs will use default-file-name-coding-system, that is
> >automatically set to cp932, according to the system-wide codepage.
> 
> Yes, you are right. I mean, maybe, the case of using some remote file
> system.

Accessing remote files doesn't go through functions in w32.c, it goes
through file handlers (in Tramp).

> You can check by yourself their (our?) usage if you like.
> Some seems still using shift-jis, not cp932.
> 
> http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=file-name-coding-system+sjis

If they want 100% solid support, they will have to change their
customizations, sorry.  (We could implement an equivalence table,
whereby, e.g., shift_jis would be mapped to cp932, but these encodings
are slightly different, so I think that would be a kludge.)

In any case, the new code in w32.c is no worse than the previous one,
when file-name-coding-system is set to anything that is not a
recognized Windows codepage.  It is actually slightly better: it uses
the system-wide ANSI codepage in that case.  In most cases, this would
be the right thing anyway.