Subject: Re: bug#13551: acknowledged by developer (control message for bug #13551)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 21:47:13 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > I'm not sure I understand.  I think it does do something completely
>   > predictable -- choose the key ring entry that matches what's in your
>   > "From" header.
>
> We seem to be failing to commnuicate.  My From header always says
> "[email-masked]", but we're talking about the address I am sending to --
> in the To field.  Is that what you mean?

Yes; sorry.

> When I send mail to just 'arthur', that is equivalent by default to
> [email-masked]'.  I often omit [email-masked]' knowing this.
>
> Encryption should do the same thing: treat 'arthur' as short for
> [email-masked]'.  That way it will always encrypt for the person that
> the mail is going to.

Emacs cannot possibly know that when you send to "arthur", that that
email will eventually end up going to "[email-masked]".  It could guess,
but guessing in an security context is a no go.

So if you want to send somebody secure messages, you have to tell Emacs
what address the mail is going to: You can't just say "arthur".

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no