Subject: bug#13549: 24.3.50; FR: Improve grep output (show function names, when possible)

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 18:38:31 +0530

In terms of UI, git grep solution is inferior compared to
(which-function) proposal.  Both of these are in turn is much inferior
to current state of the art i.e., semantic-symref.

Semantic not only interfaces with grep, cscope backends but has the
necessary infrastructure to re-write the results in to a unified
interface.  More importantly it displays function context.

I am OK with this bug remaining closed.  

I have now moved the proposal for displaying function context to
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14468.

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> -     ("^.+?-[0-9]+-.*\n" (0 grep-context-face)))
>>> +     ("^.+?[-=][0-9]+[-=].*\n" (0 grep-context-face)))
>>
>> Sounds good, tho a little comment above that line would be welcome (it
>> could talk about both the =..= and the -..- cases).
>
> Done, with more comments.
>
> As for the function names in the output of grep, let's hope that
> the developers of GNU grep will apply the patch implemented in
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/2005-01/msg00027.html
>
> that adds the command line option `-p' and `--show-function-line'
> with formatting similar to the output of git-grep
> that is now supported in Emacs.