Subject: Re: bug#13547: svn annotate - incorrect previous/next revision

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 05:40:37 +0300

Hi!

On 30.07.2021 14:54, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen<[email-masked]>  writes:
> 
>>>> Thanks. I guess the drawback here is, that will contact the svn
>>>> repository, which may be on a remote server, so could be slow.
>>>>
>>>> It seems this is used by vc-annotate, vc-rollback, and vc-diff.
>>> Yes, it will be slower. But as far as I know there is no other way to
>>> get the previous/next revision of a file.
>> I haven't used svn in many years, so I don't have much of an opinion
>> here.  I've respun the patch for Emacs 28; included below.
>>
>> Anybody got an opinion here?
> I forgot to put Dmitry in the CCs; perhaps he'll have an opinion.

Since this is about SVN, it's hard for me to have an opinion as well: 
all practical recollections are from ~10 years ago. How slow are SVN 
servers to respond to requests like this these days?

Could someone also describe the effect that our current "not correct" 
revision numbers have? Do they trigger errors? Do them cause 
'vc-annotate' to show wrong file contents?

If it's either of these, then we probably should go ahead with the patch.