Subject: Re: bug#13546: 24.2.92; Error(s) when sending emails

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:06:56 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Sebastien Vauban <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:42:18 -0500
> 
> > The messages just say that Emacs is using up a lot of memory for some
> > reason.
> 
> Indeed.  Most likely the memory is used by C-level objects rather than
> by Elisp objects, but in case these are Elisp objects, you can install
> memory-usage (available from GNU ELPA) and do M-x memory-usage when the
> process's size is suspicious (assuming that at that point Emacs is
> still sufficiently usable to run the above command).

Since this happens when sending email, i.e. opening network
connections, I suspect that memory might be eaten up by reader threads
we start to support each connection.  This is further exacerbated by
the fact that Sebastien uses TLS connections for email, so perhaps
emacs_gnutls_pull is part of the problem.

Sebastien, if the latest emacs-24 binary still gives you trouble,
please try separate the sub-process and Helm stuff from the email
stuff.  That is, start 2 sessions of Emacs: one that uses Helm, but
does not use email, the other that uses email, but not Helm (or
subprocess-related commands in general).  I'd like to know whether
none, one, or both of theses sessions will exhibit some abnormal
symptoms after several hours.