Subject: Re: bug#13524: Improving user experience for non-recursive builds

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:33:56 +0100

On 02/08/2013 05:13 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
>>> Hmm, if that's the case, then I think "canon" is the wrong term to
>>> use, as it typically implies that the result is still in the same
>>> domain as the input.
>>>
>> Suggestions for a better name then?
> 
> Dunno...  something like "RELDIR_SYM" would make sense ... it's a
> symbol corresponding to RELDIR...
>
But if we go this way, we should also fix the manual (and some function
names in the automake script itself) to use the new terminology instead
of the one based on "canonicalization"; otherwise we risk more confusion
and inconsistencies.  And this "SYM" doesn't sounds clear nor expressive
enough IMHO.

So, unless someone comes up with a new term that can be easily used in
the documentation as well, I think staying with "canonicalize" is the
lesser evil.

Regards,
  Stefano