Subject: RE: bug#1351: 23.0.60; Provide doc strings for functions in replace.el

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:06:21 -0800

> From: Glenn Morris Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 2:58 PM
> Yes, many functions in Emacs unfortunately lack doc strings. It is not
> very difficult to find them. Let me save you the trouble of opening
> bugs for them all:
> (let (undocumented)
>   (mapatoms (lambda (s)
>               (and (fboundp s)
>                    (not (documentation s))
>                    (push s undocumented))))
>   undocumented))

Impertinent and not helpful. I'm not looking for them all. This is not a report
that all functions and variables need doc strings.

The functions and variables I reported, in particular, could use doc strings.
That would help at least one user, me, understand the code.

> Would you like to write some?

No.

When I understand code that lacks doc strings where doc strings would help, I
don't hesitate to send proposed doc along. Likewise, for doc-string corrections.
When I don't understand code that lacks doc strings, I report that they could
help understanding.

Would you like to write some? If not, pass. Let me save you the trouble of
responding uselessly to bug reports - feel free not to bother.