Subject: Re: bug#13505: Bug#696026: emacs24: file corruption on saving

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 23:40:14 +0200

> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:25:08 +0100
> From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>, Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>,
> 	[email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> On 2013-01-20 18:49:38 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Personally, I don't think there's a bug here.  It's a cockpit error.
> 
> Perhaps it isn't a bug at save time. But then, selecting a lossy
> encoding by default when visiting the file is the bug (and really
> a regression), particularly if this isn't clearly told to the user.

The encoding isn't lossy.

In any case, I don't really understand your proposal.  Suppose the
file was indeed encoded in in-is13194-devanagari, would you argue then
that selecting it would be incorrect or undesirable behavior?

> Actually this is related, since the lossy encoding becomes a real
> problem only at save time (and for copy-paste I assume, though the
> file doesn't get overwritten by that).

It is only a problem when you try to save or otherwise output it
(e.g., send in an email).

But what you should do then is "C-x RET r raw-text RET", and recover.
That is the only way to avoid corruption in files that use
inconsistent encoding.