Subject: bug#13494: closed (Re: bug#13494: output from pdb++ never appears in *gud-FILE* buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 12:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#13494: output from pdb++ never appears in *gud-FILE* buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
13494: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=13494
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#13494: output from pdb++ never appears in *gud-FILE* buffer
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Matt McClure <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 14:25:19 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> If I don't hear back from you in a couple of weeks, I'll just assume
> that this was fixed some time in the six years since your report and
> close this bug.

No reply within 5 weeks, so I'm closing this now.  If anyone is still
seeing this, please reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: output from pdb++ never appears in *gud-FILE* buffer
From: Matt McClure <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:19:40 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying to use pdb++ [1] in Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin,
NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2012-09-27 on bob.porkrind.org.

With pdb++ in my Python virtualenv, I type:

    M-x pdb RET python -mpdb foo.py

The *gud-foo.py* buffer says:

    Current directory is /Users/mlm/tmp/

And it never prints pdb++'s output. I expect to see:

    > /Users/mlm/tmp/foo.py(1)<module>()
    -> """Demonstrating Emacs, pdb++ incompatibility."""
    (Pdb++)

I stepped into Emacs's pdb function, and saw that sometimes the output
from pdb++ appears in the buffer as I step through. Sometimes it
appears in color. Sometimes the corresponding color escape sequences
appear literally in the buffer.

I can work around the problem by disabling colorized pdb++ output with
a ~/.pdbrc.py containing:

    from pdb import DefaultConfig

    class Config(DefaultConfig):
        highlight = False

Still, this seems like an Emacs bug, that it doesn't reliably read the
colorized output and display it in the buffer.

[1]: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pdbpp/

***

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2012-09-27 on bob.porkrind.org
Bzr revision: 110220 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
SPC C-e <escape> <backspace> <escape> <backspace> p
d b SPC i m p o r t SPC D e f a u l t C o n f i g C-n
C-a C-o C-n C-e D e f u <backspace> a u l t C o n f
i g ) : <return> <tab> h i g h l i g h t SPC = SPC
F a l s e <return> C-k C-k C-k C-x C-s C-x o C-x b
f a n c y <tab> <return> C-r C o l o r C-r C-r C-r
C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-r C-a <escape> < C-s
C-s C-a C-v C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-k C-k C-x C-s C-x o C-x C-b C-n C-n C-n C-n <return>
C-x k <return> y e s <return> C-p C-n C-x C-b C-n C-n
C-n C-n <return> C-x 1 <escape> x p d b <return> <escape>
C-x c <return> <escape> C-x c <escape> C-g C-x o C-x
o q u i t <return> C-x k <return> <escape> x p d b
<return> <return> <escape> C-x c q u i t <return> C-x
k <return> <escape> x p d b <return> <return> <escape>
C-x c C-d C-x k <return> <escape> x <escape> p <return>
<return> <escape> C-x c <escape> C-x c C-d C-x k <return>
<escape> x <escape> p <return> <return> <escape> C-x
c C-d C-x k <return> <escape> x <escape> p <return>
<return> C-x 1 w <return> n <return> <return> <return>
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return>
<return> <return> <return> <return> <return> <return>
<return> <return> <return> <return> <escape> x e m
a c s SPC r e <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
r e p o <tab> r <tab> <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Continue...
make-comint-in-buffer
Continue...
comint-check-proc
Continue...
comint-exec
Continue...
comint-exec-1
Continue...
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/Users/mlm/.emacs.d/elpa/virtualenv-0.1/virtualenv hides
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/virtualenv
/Users/mlm/.emacs.d/elpa/pymacs-0.24/pymacs hides /Users/mlm/config/emacs/pymacs
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/xsd-regexp hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/xsd-regexp
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/xmltok hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/xmltok
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-xsd hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-xsd
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-valid hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-valid
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-util hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-util
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-uri hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-uri
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-pttrn hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-pttrn
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-parse hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-parse
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-nxml hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-nxml
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-match hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-match
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-maint hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-maint
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-loc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-loc
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-dt hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-dt
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/rng-cmpct hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/rng-cmpct
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-util hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-util
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-uchnm hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-uchnm
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-rap hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-rap
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-parse hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-parse
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-outln hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-outln
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-ns hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-ns
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-mode hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-mode
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-maint hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-maint
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-glyph hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-glyph
/Users/mlm/config/emacs/nxml-mode-20041004/nxml-enc hides
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml/nxml-enc

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils dabbrev kmacro two-column
iso-transl info edebug jka-compr thingatpt find-func gud python rx
noutline outline tramp-cache tramp-sh dired-aux debug find-dired dired
mule-util vc-bzr sh-script smie executable time-stamp misearch
multi-isearch vc-git conf-mode flyspell ispell help-mode rect
pymacs-autoloads virtualenv-autoloads disp-table uniquify grep compile
whitespace server tramp-virtualenv easy-mmode dircmp-mode
diff-ediff-mode derived pymacs warnings nxml-enc cus-edit easymenu
cus-start cus-load wid-edit tramp tramp-compat auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice help-fns advice-preload package time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)

--
Matt McClure
http://www.matthewlmcclure.com
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/profile/matthewlmcclure