Subject: bug#1349: Calc interactive tutorial typo & suggestion

From: Jay Belanger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:18:32 -0600

"Ben Wong" <[email-masked]> writes:

> The interactive tutorial for calc says to use `C-x * i' to switch back
> to the tutorial from the calculator.  However, that key sequence
> brings up the main calc info page, which would leave most people lost
> and frustrated.  I believe the correct sequence is `C-x * o'.

I see.  Both `C-x * c, C-x * i' and  `C-x * i, C-x * c, C-x * o'
seem to leave Emacs in the same state, neither of which is looking at
the tutorial.  The paragraph you mentioned talks about reading the
tutorial online, so it should probably be changed to `C-x * t', which
will set up the desired Emacs setup by itself, and a discussion of how
to switch between the info and Calc buffers.  In the future, perhaps
Calc commands that will manipulate the info buffer from within the Calc
buffer might be useful (for example, `i SPC' in the Calc buffer will
scroll the info buffer).

> I also have a second small suggestion for the tutorial.  There should be
> a message at the end of the answer to the first exercise, at least,
> stating:
>
>     "If you are using the Emacs Info system, you may press 'l' to
>   return to the last page you were viewing."

That's a good idea; I'll add a line like that to the info output.

Jay