Subject: Calc interactive tutorial typo & suggestion

From: "Ben Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:26:41 -0800

I have two tiny bugs for you, both having to do with returning to
Calc's interactive tutorial when switching buffers.

The interactive tutorial for calc says to use `C-x * i' to switch back
to the tutorial from the calculator.  However, that key sequence
brings up the main calc info page, which would leave most people lost
and frustrated.  I believe the correct sequence is `C-x * o'.

Specifically, the info file "calc-1", around line 1024, states:

    "The easiest way to read this tutorial on-line is to have two windows
  on your Emacs screen, one with Calc and one with the Info system.  (If
  you have a printed copy of the manual you can use that instead.)  Press
  `C-x * c' to turn Calc on or to switch into the Calc window, and press
  `C-x * i' to start the Info system or to switch into its window.  Or,
  you may prefer to use the tutorial in printed form."

I believe that paragraph should read:

    "The easiest way to read this tutorial on-line is to have two windows
  on your Emacs screen, one with Calc and one with the Info system.  (If
  you have a printed copy of the manual you can use that instead.) Press
  `C-x * i' to start the Info system.  Press `C-x * c' to turn Calc on or
  to switch into the Calc window, and press `C-x * o' to switch back to the
  Info window.  Or, you may prefer to use the tutorial in printed form."

I also have a second small suggestion for the tutorial.  There should be
a message at the end of the answer to the first exercise, at least,
stating:

    "If you are using the Emacs Info system, you may press 'l' to
  return to the last page you were viewing."

Currently, the tutorial mentions the 'l' key only in the question
section, which goes away when looking at the answer in Info.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (mipsel--netbsd)
 of 2008-05-25 on lily.ziaspace.com
configured using `configure  '--localstatedir=/var' '--without-gif'
'--without-jpeg' '--without-png' '--without-tiff' '--without-x'
'--without-xpm' '--prefix=/usr/pkg' '--host=mipsel--netbsd'
'--infodir=/usr/pkg/info' '--mandir=/usr/pkg/man'
'host_alias=mipsel--netbsd' 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -I/usr/include'
'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib' 'LIBS='
'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
h t SPC SPC SPC 1 SPC C-x * c C-x * i C-z SPC SPC TAB
TAB l SPC C-x * x ESC x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b
u g RET

Recent messages:
Loading easymenu...done
Loading info...done
Welcome to the GNU Emacs Calculator!  Press `?' or `h' for help, `q' to quit
Welcome to the Calc Tutorial!
C-x *  (Type ? for a list of Calc options)
Welcome to the GNU Emacs Calculator!  Press `?' or `h' for help, `q' to quit
C-x *  (Type ? for a list of Calc options) [2 times]
Loading emacsbug...
Loading regexp-opt...done
Loading emacsbug...done