Subject: bug#13486: 24.2.92: large X-selections: timed out waiting for property notify event

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 06:11:51 +0300

I've been hitting this bug from time to time, too (about once in a few
weeks), and I'm not running Emacs remotely. Just in graphical mode, the
usual way.

Similarly, selecting all text in a large buffer seems to be the way to
reproduce this (a sequence of `C-x h', `C-w`, `C-x h', `C-w', and so on,
seems to do it), even starting with `emacs -Q`. I've saved the contents
of the buffer I've had this with, but they're probably irrelevant.

It's just

a:focus {
  background-clip: border-box;
  background: content-box;
}

repeated ~33000 times.

Here's the report-emacs-bug information:

In GNU Emacs 24.3.92.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-07-11 on axl
Repository revision: 117369 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  global-smartscan-mode: t
  smartscan-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  hes-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n <help-echo> SPC C-c <left> 
C-c C-x 0 C-x 0 <M-up> <down> <down> <up> <return> 
<down> <return> M-n C-n RET M-[ C-x 3 M-x i b u f f 
e r <return> C-n C-p C-n C-n / S u / S C-s S u m m 
C-s C-s C-n C-p s u C-g C-g C-p C-p q C-x 0 M-[ C-n 
RET SPC N N N N N N N N N P P N N N N N C-; C-n RET 
N N N q RET RET N N N q g C-p RET RET q RET RET <M-down> 
C-x 3 <help-echo> M-x <help-echo> f i n d - l i b <return> 
c r i s p <return> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> <next> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> <prior> 
<prior> <prior> <prior> C-x 0 q g q M-x r e C-g C-x 
3 <C-tab> C-x h C-w M-x p y <return> C-g C-g M-x C-g 
C-g C-g M-x p y t h o n - m o d e <return> M-x e m 
a c s <return> <M-right> M-x p y t h o n - m o d e 
C-x 2 C-g C-g C-x 2 C-x b m e s s a <return> C-g C-g 
C-g C-g <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <up> 
<down> <up> <down> <up> <down> <up> <down> C-g C-g 
<S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> 
<S-up> <S-up> <S-up> <S-up> C-S-a M-w <M-left> M-x 
r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
byte-code: Timed out waiting for property-notify event
byte-code: Window #<window 4 on  *Minibuf-1*> too small for splitting 2
Quit [3 times]
Timed out waiting for property-notify event [2 times]
Quit [4 times]
End of buffer [3 times]
Timed out waiting for property-notify event
Quit [3 times]
Mark set
Reverting buffer `.emacs-loaddefs.el'.

Load-path shadows:
/home/gutov/.emacs.d/elpa/easy-kill-20140505.343/test hides /home/gutov/.emacs.d/site-lisp/company/test
/home/gutov/.emacs.d/site-lisp/smartrep.el/smartrep hides ~/.emacs.d/site-lisp/smartrep

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message emacsbug sendmail python iflipb vc-bzr gnus-fun
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs helm-projectile
helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
dired-x dired-aux ffap helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net
xml helm-plugin bookmark pp helm-help helm-match-plugin helm-external
helm-locate helm-config helm-aliases eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe two-column iso-transl helper helm-buffers helm-grep helm-regexp
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-utils helm mule-util ebuff-menu flow-fill
browse-url mm-archive qp sort smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh nnfolder parse-time bbdb-gnus
bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm netrc gnutls network-stream starttls tls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache
gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source bbdb bbdb-site
timezone gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader shell pcomplete smerge-mode misearch multi-isearch recentf
tree-widget wid-edit css-mode smex elisp-slime-nav eldoc paredit
tango-plus-theme smartscan highlight-tail projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer
pkg-info epl grep dash s highlight-escape-sequences company-files
company-oddmuse oddmuse url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core gnus-util password-cache
url-vars mailcap company-keywords company-etags etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake
company-ropemacs company-xcode company-clang company-semantic
company-eclim company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb
company-inf-ruby inf-ruby thingatpt ruby-end ruby-mode smie compile
company pcase undo-tree diff diff-hl smartrep face-remap vc-hg vc-git
vc-dir ewoc diff-mode savehist yasnippet whitespace-cleanup-mode
ido-ubiquitous ido paren autorevert filenotify elec-pair delsel cua-base
winner .emacs-loaddefs whitespace saveplace autoload lisp-mnt tex-site
info package bow prelude esk devenv commit-patch-buffer log-edit
easy-mmode message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log
vc vc-dispatcher point-stack mmm mmm-defaults mmm-auto mmm-vars cl-macs
mmm-compat cl gv progmodes keys find-func quail help-mode easymenu
windmove hippie hippie-exp comint ansi-color dired winring ring
transpose-frame misc prefs edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib defuns
advice help-fns help-at-pt cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 545261 50480)
 (symbols 48 52155 582)
 (miscs 40 907 755)
 (strings 32 128998 32016)
 (string-bytes 1 15224805)
 (vectors 16 49989)
 (vector-slots 8 1030644 4297)
 (floats 8 1008 1455)
 (intervals 56 7339 65)
 (buffers 960 46)
 (heap 1024 221344 326429))