Subject: Re: bug#13486: 24.2.92: large X-selections: timed out waiting for property notify event

From: unfrostedpoptart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

Chong Yidong wrote
> Charles Rendleman &lt;

> carendle@

> &gt; writes:
> 
>> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/, a packaging of 'mainly
>> from the X.org source code with patches applied'.
> 
> Ah, so you are running Emacs through a remote X connection.  That is the
> reason for the slowdown: the Emacs binary needs to transfer the X
> primary selection to the server over the network.
> 
> I don't think there's any way to fix this; you will have to customize
> `select-active-regions' to nil.

I've been hitting this for months (since 24?) and finally searched around
and found this thread.  I'm also running remote, using nx-client.  I went to
customize select-active-regions and found the value "ony shift-selection or
mouse-drag" does the trick since it still allows automatic setting of active
region but doesn't trigger on things like mark-whole-buffer, which was
killing me.

The elisp version it put in my init.el was (select-active-regions (quote
only)).

 David

--
View this message in context: http://emacs.1067599.n5.nabble.com/bug-13486-24-2-92-large-X-selections-timed-out-waiting-for-property-notify-event-tp275798p286215.html
Sent from the Emacs - Bugs mailing list archive at Nabble.com.