Subject: bug#1348: set-frame-width and set-frame-position seem buggy on at least MSWindows

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 10:19:38 +0100

>> I have never looked into that code.  IIUC one problem is flickering when
 >> a frame gets redrawn too often.  Moreover, it's not always safe to
 >> redraw frames.
 >
 > Redraw? Isn't this about resize rather than redraw?

You can, in one command, issue a number of resize requests.  I doubt we
want each of them cause a redisplay/redraw before the command completes.

 >> ... In any case, it seems we still
 >> wouldn't know how many lines the menubar occupies, or am I missing
 >> something?
 >
 > Well, whatever the answer to this question is, I'm afraid it wouldn't
 > help to understand the bug.  It happens with no menubar as well.

The wrapping menubar problem is one of the w32 API - it's nothing we can
do about.  Personally, I considered Jason's reaction too drastic.  So
maybe we should make it conditional on the presence of a menubar.  Also,
I see other applications truncate the menubar in a similar situation.

Anyway - I don't have much of an idea what to do here.  If you can
provide any patches I'll be happy to test them.

martin