Subject: bug#1348: set-frame-width and set-frame-position seem buggy on at least MSWindows

From: grischka <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 20:42:38 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:

>  > Why can't it wait?  A couple of frames doesn't sound like thousands
>  > and also you probably would not start editing your files while your
>  > frames are still moving around.  So it wouldn't make any difference
>  > on the user level, except that you'd get correct results by design.
> 
> I have never looked into that code.  IIUC one problem is flickering when
> a frame gets redrawn too often.  Moreover, it's not always safe to
> redraw frames.

Redraw? Isn't this about resize rather than redraw?

>  > And then it can of course (and probably should) handle other events
>  > while waiting for the ConfigureNotify.  In GUI apps it is normal that
>  > "wait" doesn't mean just sleep or block.
>
> Sounds rather like an additional complication.  At the time we call
> `set-frame-height' we want to execute Lisp code.

Complication is not additional if it allows you to get rid of other
complication, in particular such that causes inexplicable misbehavior.

> ... In any case, it seems we still
> wouldn't know how many lines the menubar occupies, or am I missing
> something?

Well, whatever the answer to this question is, I'm afraid it wouldn't
help to understand the bug.  It happens with no menubar as well.