Subject: Re: bug#1348: set-frame-width and set-frame-position seem buggy on at least MSWindows

From: grischka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:45:45 +0100

martin rudalics wrote:
>  > Why waste time with looking for "better results" instead of a
>  > correct solution?
>  >
>  > Which is obviously that these set-frame-xxx functions need to wait
>  > for the ConfigureNotify event and to handle it before they return.
> 
> I doubt such a solution would be generally feasible.  A command might
> try to set the height and width of a couple of frames.  It can't wait
> for a ConfigureNotify event to arrive for each of these.

Why can't it wait?  A couple of frames doesn't sound like thousands
and also you probably would not start editing your files while your
frames are still moving around.  So it wouldn't make any difference
on the user level, except that you'd get correct results by design.

And then it can of course (and probably should) handle other events
while waiting for the ConfigureNotify.  In GUI apps it is normal that
"wait" doesn't mean just sleep or block.

Btw, on ms-windows such serialization is built-in actually. With
a call like "SetWindowPos" you'd get the WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGED message
with the new coordinates and sizes before the call returns.