Subject: bug#1348: set-frame-width and set-frame-position seem buggy on at least MSWindows

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:58:52 +0100

> Now not sure what you meant.  Probably something not good.
 > But what?  Size wrong?  Events lost?  Example?

Consider the following silly fragment:

(progn
   (sleep-for 10)
   (set-frame-height nil 20))

C-x C-e it and resize the frame with the WM.  The results here are not
very predictable, neither with no without your patch.  If you manually
make the window smaller than 20 lines it gets resized after 10 secs.
Otherwise it remains larger.  In any case, the point is what gets
processed by Emacs after the 10 seconds elapsed.

 >> I suppose resizing a frame might do all sorts of nasty things like
 >> resizing and deleting windows within the resized frame, switching
 >> buffers, showing another menu-/tool-bar, ...
 >
 > Only with at least two frames?  Sounds cryptic ;)

With one frame.  Emacs reacts to frame resizing requests by adjusting
the windows within the frame accordingly.  If a window gets too small,
Emacs has to delete one (note that Emacs implements a tiling window
manager within each frame).  Eventually, all that remains is the menubar
or, if there's none, just the title line.  And, deleting a window may
change the menubar because another buffer may become current.

martin