Subject: Re: bug#13479: Cross Compiling for ARM

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:42:26 +0800

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Obviously, I also had to CANNOT_DUMP=yes as well.
>
> That's a problem that would need to be solved, of course, because there
> are invariably more bugs in this mode of operation.
>
>> 1) ... However make-docfile and test-distrib need to be built with
>> the local compiler...
>
> We could incorporate this part of your changes, I think.
>
>> 2) The lisp and leim directories really want a local copy of Emacs to
>> compile.
>
> ...
> An alternative is of course to use an emulator to run src/emacs and/or
> src/bootstrap-emacs.

Using an emulator would allow dumping as well, and could also be used
for make-docfile and test-distrib.

I think gcc has similar cross-compilation bootstrapping issues which
have been solved in the makefiles, so that is probably a good example to
follow if making cross-compilation work is something someone wants to
seriously fix.