Subject: Re: bug#13475: 24.2.91; accept-process-output hangs emacs on killed sub-process

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 05:19:10 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03.10.2019 20:24, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>
>> I'm don't think this is a bug -- as you say, if PROC is dead, then we
>> just heed the timeout, so in a loop like this, you should check whether
>> PROC is alive before calling `accept-process-output'.
>> So I'm closing this bug report.  I somebody things that Emacs should
>> be
>> changed to make accept-process-output to return immediately (with a
>> non-nil return value?) if PROC is dead, please reopen.
>
> Shouldn't we consider the "connection" to be "closed" if the process
> is dead? From the docstring:
>
>   Return non-nil if we received any output from PROCESS (or, if PROCESS
>   is nil, from any process) before the timeout expired or the
>   corresponding connection was closed.

By "was closed" here, I think what's meant is "was closed before TIMEOUT
expired".  If the connection is closed before the call, we wait for the
entire timeout.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no