Subject: Re: bug#13473: 24.3.50; Display Tables doc bug

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:18:41 -0500

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   The glyph used to draw the border between side-by-side windows (the
>   default is @samp{|}).  @xref{Splitting Windows}.  This takes effect only
>   when there are no scroll bars; if scroll bars are supported and in use,
> ! a scroll bar separates the two windows.  On graphical terminals, Emacs
> ! uses a thin line to indicate the border, so the display table has no
> ! effect.
>   @end table

If it's only effective on a tty display, then is the scroll bar
reference irrelevant?  AFAIK, there are never scroll bars on a tty
display anyway.

The change which introduced the text about the scroll bars is [1:
8241495da5].  It's old, has no log message, and contains many changes,
so it's unclear why that particular text was added.

[1: 8241495da5]: 1999-09-17 06:59:04 +0000
  *** empty log message ***
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=8241495da57ca0efed1b2e86ff693b5614e0aebd