Subject: Re: bug#13473: 24.3.50; Display Tables doc bug

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:05:29 +0100

> @@ -6988,9 +6988,10 @@ Display Tables
 >
 >   @item 5
 >   The glyph used to draw the border between side-by-side windows (the
 > -default is @samp{|}).  @xref{Splitting Windows}.  This takes effect only
 > -when there are no scroll bars; if scroll bars are supported and in use,
 > -a scroll bar separates the two windows.
 > +default is @samp{|}).  @xref{Splitting Windows}.  On graphical
 > +terminals, this has no effect: if scroll bars are in use, a scroll bar
 > +separates the two windows, and if scroll bars are not in use, the
 > +border is a thin unbroken line.
 >   @end table
 >
 >     For example, here is how to construct a display table that mimics
 >

I had prepared the below.  Maybe we could reconcile them somehow.

martin

diff --git a/doc/lispref/display.texi b/doc/lispref/display.texi
index 7bf03b8..f7170fe 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/display.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/display.texi
@@ -4485,6 +4485,16 @@ Window Dividers
  window on a minibuffer-less frame.
  @end defun

+When dividers and vertical scroll bars are both disabled for a
+specific graphical frame, Emacs separates windows on that frame with
+the help of a one-pixel wide "vertical border", see (@pxref{Scroll
+Bars,,, emacs, The Emacs Manual}).  When dividers are disabled but
+vertical scroll bars are enabled on that frame, Emacs draws these
+borders on mode lines only since the scroll bars are already
+considered sufficent for separating the windows visually.  In either
+case, borders can be dragged with the mouse in order to resize the
+adjacent windows.
+

  @node Display Property
  @section The @code{display} Property