Subject: Re: bug#13472: Execution mode can hang pc when parameter refers to big file

From: Roumen Petrov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:18:42 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Peter Rosin wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> On 2013-01-17 16:29, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>>> Everything would be easier if libtool would arrange to build a small 
>>> helper
>>> executable in the build tree which it can used instead of system tools.
>>> Libtool already builds a native executable in some cases. This would
>>> diminish portability concerns and improve performance.  The main issue
>>> with this is that for cross-builds, a system native compiler needs 
>>> to be
>>> used to build the helper executable.
>>
>> Forgive me for my ignorance, but when does libtool build something with
>> the $build compiler in the cross case? The only thing I can find that
>> looks like an alternative compiler is $LTCC, but that's just another
>> name for the normal $host C compiler. What am I missing?
>
> As I recall, libtool builds an execution test wrapper for a Windows 
> native build.  It would (should) not do that for a cross-build. 
> However, the C test wrapper was written using portable interfaces so 
> it could compile under POSIX (even if we don't currently do that).

In windows case I would like to disagree. this is a way to run test in 
emulated environment. Build system run in emulator a native executable 
(libtool wrapper executable) , then wrapper set environment and spawn 
real executable.
This is specific for this case and know emulator. I would like to inform 
you that shell-wrapper from pre-libtool  2(.2?)  era can not be used in 
this case.
May be I misunderstand you idea .
Please detail you case.

> [SNIP]
> Bob

Roumen