Subject: Re: bug#13471: 24.3.50; S-up does not work in xterm: <select> is undefined

From: Thomas Dickey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:19:39 -0500

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 09:20:05AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Seeing a large group of users suffering from this problem
> > http://www.google.com/search?q=emacs+%22select+is+undefined%22
> > suggests to remove the code in the emacs-24 release branch.
> 
> AFAIK this is not a regression, and it's far from an obviously-safe fix,
> so I don't think it qualifies for emacs-24.

thanks for your comment.

I had already resolved yesterday what changes I would make to ncurses.
That involved some more research to document the issue properly.
And some code change, as needed.  Since you are not in a hurry,
it will percolate along.

Incidentally, I checked my archives, and determined that the bogus code
in Emacs did not reflect AIX 4.  Even AIX 3 is questionable (1992),
since that feature did not appear in AIX 3's termcap file.  It may have
been a customization on someone's personal system, but did not appear
in the IBM product within the past 20 years.

-- 
Thomas E. Dickey <[email-masked]>
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net