Subject: bug#13471: 24.3.50; S-up does not work in xterm: <select> is undefined

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:53:15 +0100

Run "emacs -Q -nw" in an xterm (or some other modern terminal emulator
that sets $TERM to xterm) and press S-up.  Rather than moving the cursor
and selecting text, Emacs beeps and informs you: <select> is undefined.

This seems to have been discussed a few times, e.g. in the threads
starting at 

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00174.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00267.html

The latter thread mentions in

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-10/msg00290.html

that the following change

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
=== modified file 'src/term.c'
--- src/term.c	2013-01-11 02:40:58 +0000
+++ src/term.c	2013-01-17 08:49:20 +0000
@@ -1415,7 +1415,6 @@ term_get_fkeys_1 (void)
       CONDITIONAL_REASSIGN ("F1", "k<", "f11");
       CONDITIONAL_REASSIGN ("F2", "k>", "f12");
       CONDITIONAL_REASSIGN ("%1", "kq", "help");
-      CONDITIONAL_REASSIGN ("*6", "kU", "select");
 #undef CONDITIONAL_REASSIGN
   }
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

would fix that; I can confirm that, but don't know if it might break
anything.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.4 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2013-01-17 on turtle
Bzr revision: 111541 [email-masked]
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --build=i486-pc-linux-gnu --without-gconf
 build_alias=i486-pc-linux-gnu --no-create --no-recursion'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 2 7 8 ; 0 c ESC ] 1 1 ; r g b : f f f f 
/ f f f f / f f f f ESC \ ESC [ 1 ; 2 A ESC x r e p 
o r t - e m a c s - b u g RET

Recent messages:
("src/emacs")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)