Subject: bug#13470: 24.3.50; configure: Warn if runtime library is present, but headers are absent

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:46:11 +0530

See thread titled "Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)" on
emacs-devel.

Relevant posts from the above thread:

1. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00375.html
2. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-01/msg00379.html

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)
To: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:39:20 +0900 (3 hours, 32 minutes, 27 seconds ago)

Jambunathan K writes:

 > I am wondering whether `* Complex Text Layout support libraries'
 > section of INSTALL file should mention availability of both xft and
 > freetype headers.

No, IMO this is a generic bug in configure.  It should check for
libraries first, then headers.  If the library needed to provide a
requested feature is present, but not the headers, it should bitch.

NB In INSTALL, somewhere near the top, you'll probably find a warning
about the perverse behavior (from the free software point of view) of
free software distributions which provide libraries for running
software but not the headers needed to build software.

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2013-01-17 on debian-6.05
Bzr revision: 111538 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 (squeeze)