Subject: Re: bug#13470: 24.3.50; configure: Warn if runtime library is present, but headers are absent

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:39:35 +0530

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> No, IMO this is a generic bug in configure.  It should check for
>> libraries first, then headers.  If the library needed to provide a
>> requested feature is present, but not the headers, it should bitch.
>
> Well IMO Emacs configure script is fine in this regard.
> This is too vague to do anything useful with.

Bug has become a bit meta.  Nevertheless,

It suffices for my purpose if INSTALL file mentions dependence on xft
and freetype libraries/headers for CTL support.  Currently, the file
talks about only m17n and otf libraries.

If Debian (and possibly other package maintainers are reading this
report), they can consider including the above libraries as part of
Emacs build dependencies.  This way

      apt-get build-dep emacs

will DTRT as regards to CTL support.