Subject: find-file-noselect scrolls current buffer

From: Michael Brand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:27:56 +0100

Hi all

Although the issue seems to be independent of the mode it becomes
mainly annoying when an Org mode buffer scrolls unwantedly when a link
to an other Org mode buffer is followed. It depends on that the target
buffer has a mode hook that moves point, in my case to search a
file-specific config that I have to process myself. I was able to
drill down the issue to a find-file-noselect with a simple mode hook
with only end-of-buffer. I tried with org-mode-hook and
text-mode-hook, both show the issue. All GNU Emacs I had easily
available have the issue: GNU/Linux: 23.1.1. 23.3.1 24.2.1 24.2.92.1,
OS X: 23.3.1 24.1.1 24.2.2.

Minimal test to reproduce with text-mode-hook:

$ yes | nl | head -999 > /tmp/n
$ cp /tmp/n /tmp/m.txt
$ emacs -q /tmp/n
M-: (scroll-up)
M-: (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'end-of-buffer)
M-: (find-file-noselect "/tmp/m.txt")

During the last step the buffer /tmp/n is scrolled which I consider a
bug. Note that when /tmp/m.txt is small this scrolling does not occur.
The same happens with find-file-other-window.

Is there a workaround how to use the hook? The save-excursion I have
around moving the point in the mode hook anyway is not enough.

Michael