Subject: Subject: 24.2; highlight lines regexp does not highlight all lines

From: Dave Franklin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 11:34:02 -0500

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.2; highlight lines regexp does not highlight all lines
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I have loaded the windows binary:
  emacs-24.2-bin-i386.zip         07-Oct-2012 09:26   47M
I am running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

I load a 10MB messages file (text) into Emacs.
I position the cursor on the first line in the file.
When I execute the command: M-x highlight-lines-matching-regexp and
select a regexp to use, Emacs only highlights a small fraction of lines
that that match such regexp. If I then I-search for the same regexp,
after several highlighted occurrences, I find more occurrences that have
NOT been highlighted. For example, my messages file contains logging
information regarding HEAD requests and HEAD responses. There are 5396
occurrences of "HEAD r" [ using command M-x count-matches ]. However,
M-x highlight-lines-matching-regexp only highlights about the first 180
of these lines beyond the current window's view.

If I then position the cursor deeper into the file and re-run the
highlight-lines-matching-regexp command USING THE SAME HIGHLIGHT COLOR,
there is no effect. However, if I use the same regexp but this time
utilize a different highlight color, then Emacs will again highlight
about 180 such occurrences, from the cursor point onward, in the new color.

Thanks,
Dave

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs/emacs-24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x x C-g M-x r e <tab> p
<tab> o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit
Making completion list... [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu view time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)