Subject: bug#1346 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: Window shrinks with each invocation)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1346: Window shrinks with each invocation

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1346: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1346
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Sat Nov 15 15:31:14 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Erik <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Window shrinks with each invocation
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 18:31:27 -0500

Erik <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Also, could you try with Emacs CVS, and see if the problem still exists?
>
> The bug does not happen with default configure options, nor if I try
> with ./configure --with-x-toolkit=athena.
>
> So the bug seems to be fixed in CVS. Is there a newer released version
> than 22.3 that I could try? Or is there a patch which fixes this bug,
> that distributions could apply to the 22.3 package? (Gentoo already
> applies some patches to it, so they could fix this as well.)

I am not sure what causes it, sorry.  I don't recall any bug reports
with the symptoms you described.  Probably the only way to find out is
to bisect CVS revisions, and I don't have the time to do this at the
moment.

>From [email-masked] Fri Nov 14 06:22:58 2008
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:25:42 +0100
From: Erik <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Window shrinks with each invocation

The Emacs window shrinks with each invocation:
1. Start a KDE 3.5.10 session.
2. Invoke Emacs.
3. Maximize Emacs.
4. Press PrintScrn (starts Ksnapshot).
5. Make sure that "Include window border" is unchecked.
6. Press "New screenshot".
7. Press "Save as...".
8. Create a direcectory.
9. Enter "emacs_window_shrinking_00.png" in the filename line.
10. Save.
11. Close Emacs.
12. Invoke Emacs.
13. Switch Back to Ksnapshot.
14. Press "New screenshot".
15. Press "Save as..." (Ksnapshot will suggest the next filename
automatically by incrementing the number in the previously used filename).
16. If the two previously saved images differ in size, go to step 10.
17. Execute "file *" in the directory that was created in step 8.

After following these steps I get the following output from the file
command in step 17:
emacs_window_shrinking_00.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1173, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_01.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1113, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_02.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1073, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_03.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1033, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_04.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 993, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_05.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 953, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_06.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 913, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_07.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 873, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_08.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 833, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_09.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 793, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_10.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 753, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_11.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 713, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_12.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 673, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_13.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 633, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_14.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 593, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_15.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 553, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_16.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 513, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_17.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 473, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_18.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 433, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_19.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 393, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_20.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 353, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_21.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 313, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_22.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 273, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_23.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 233, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_24.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 193, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_25.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 153, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_26.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 113, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_27.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 73, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_28.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 73, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced

It looks like Emacs window height decreases with 40 pixel each
invocation (except the first an last one). This does not happen with any
other program. Emacs is unusual in that it only accepts certain sizes,
while other programs can be resized freely. It probably has something to
do with that.