Subject: Window shrinks with each invocation

From: Erik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:25:42 +0100

The Emacs window shrinks with each invocation:
1. Start a KDE 3.5.10 session.
2. Invoke Emacs.
3. Maximize Emacs.
4. Press PrintScrn (starts Ksnapshot).
5. Make sure that "Include window border" is unchecked.
6. Press "New screenshot".
7. Press "Save as...".
8. Create a direcectory.
9. Enter "emacs_window_shrinking_00.png" in the filename line.
10. Save.
11. Close Emacs.
12. Invoke Emacs.
13. Switch Back to Ksnapshot.
14. Press "New screenshot".
15. Press "Save as..." (Ksnapshot will suggest the next filename
automatically by incrementing the number in the previously used filename).
16. If the two previously saved images differ in size, go to step 10.
17. Execute "file *" in the directory that was created in step 8.

After following these steps I get the following output from the file
command in step 17:
emacs_window_shrinking_00.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1173, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_01.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1113, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_02.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1073, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_03.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 1033, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_04.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 993, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_05.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 953, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_06.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 913, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_07.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 873, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_08.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 833, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_09.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 793, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_10.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 753, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_11.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 713, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_12.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 673, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_13.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 633, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_14.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 593, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_15.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 553, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_16.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 513, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_17.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 473, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_18.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 433, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_19.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 393, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_20.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 353, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_21.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 313, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_22.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 273, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_23.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 233, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_24.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 193, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_25.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 153, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_26.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 113, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_27.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 73, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced
emacs_window_shrinking_28.png: PNG image data, 1862 x 73, 8-bit/color
RGBA, non-interlaced

It looks like Emacs window height decreases with 40 pixel each
invocation (except the first an last one). This does not happen with any
other program. Emacs is unusual in that it only accepts certain sizes,
while other programs can be resized freely. It probably has something to
do with that.